Monday, January 31, 2011

1/300 Patrol Boat Project: Part 1

The commander-in-chief of Northern Chalupistan, known as the General, ordered that his troops sail down the various rivers of his nation to invade Southern Chalupastan. This strategy was not what I was expecting, but that is what makes a play-by-email campaign interesting. So, I have started to build a small flotilla. My goal is to make some ships that are nothing fancy, but passable for gaming purposes.

I found some plans for a 30 m inshore patrol boat. I scaled down to 1/300 size, and then made a bunch of photocopies:


My original thought was to build up the boat's hull using a number of layers of either cardboard or styrene plastic sheets. I decided that would take way too long. Instead, I glued a copy of the top view plan of the boat down onto a piece of foam core and then cut it out. The bridge and superstructure were too complicated to build out of a single piece of anything. Again, using the plans as a template, I cut out the lower part of the bridge from apiece of corrugated cardboard. With a sharp hobby knife, I shaped the front of the bridge as best as I could. Here is the result:


The stern has a ramp for a zodiac boat. So, using my trusty hobby knife, I shaved off the stern at an angle.


So far, the boat is pretty crude, but I plan to somehow cover up the foam and the corrugated cardboard. My next step is to complete the bridge. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. Nice idea about the photocopy plans to foamcore hull! I can use this same concept for modern
    ships. Thanks!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Chris. How do you "adjust" down to 1/300 scale via the copier. I hope to use this idea for the C21 game as naval targets!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,

    I'm glad you found it useful.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim,
    If I had access to cheap copiers back in the early 80's, I think all my scratch-built 1/2400 warships would have looked a lot better. The real trick is to find ship plans that have both the top view and the side view. There are a number of modern small warships that I cannot find any plans for.

    BTW, once I finish with this boat, its onto making a hex mat for C21!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete